This apple cabbage slaw has glorious texture and many taste. It is creamy, crunchy, tangy and candy.
This creamy cabbage apple slaw recipe is a scrumptious spin on basic coleslaw. It is the proper facet dish to take pleasure in along with your important meal, take to a potluck dinner, or to a fall BBQ. Crunchy apple within the slaw brings a scrumptious pure sweetness.
There’s additionally the addition of tangy capers and chopped inexperienced onions which deliver a slight acidity and spice.
Discover the precise ingredient quantities for this salad recipe listed within the recipe card on the backside of this put up. Here’s a rundown of what you will have.
- Inexperienced cabbage or crimson cabbage. Not an excessive amount of, round ¼ of a medium cabbage. This crunchy cabbage is the bottom of the slaw. In the event you use crimson cabbage it’s going to deliver a greater pop of colour.
- Contemporary apples. You should use candy crimson apples like gala apples, Honeycrisp apple, or tarter granny smith apples.
- Lemon juice. Freshness and acidity.
- Capers. These add little bites of scrumptious tang.
- Inexperienced onions. Or swap with finely diced crimson onion or chopped chives.
- Mayonnaise. Mayonnaise makes one of the best creamy dressing however you possibly can swap half with greek yogurt to lighten it up when you like. This is a vegan home made mayonnaise you could possibly use.
- Mustard. Dijon mustard or yellow mustard for a little bit chunk within the dressing.
- Honey. Sweetens the dressing a little bit.
On a chopping board, use a pointy knife to take away the thick core from the cabbage. Thinly shred the cabbage then add to a big bowl. You could possibly additionally use a meals processor to shred the cabbage.
Core and quarter the apples. Slice them into skinny ⅛-inch slices with a knife or a mandolin. Cube the inexperienced onions. Add these to the cabbage. Squeeze over the lemon juice to cease the apples from browning.
Drain the capers and add them to a small bowl together with the opposite coleslaw dressing components.
Combine this collectively, dollop over the cabbage combination, after which toss the whole lot collectively to coat. Season the dish with black pepper to style.
Switch the salad to a serving bowl.
Leftover salad will be saved in an hermetic container at room temperature for as much as 2 days.
Additions and substitutions
- Swap the cabbage for thinly shaved brussels sprouts.
- Add in some dried fruit like golden raisins or cranberries for further sweetness.
- Use a cheese grater to grate in a carrot for further veggies and extra dietary fiber.
- The lemon juice will be substituted with apple cider vinegar.
- Swap the apples for crunchy pears.
- A sprinkle of crimson pepper flakes can deliver some warmth.
Extra salad recipes
- ¼ medium inexperienced cabbage (round 300g)
- 2 small crimson apples
- 2 inexperienced onions / spring onions
- 1 ½ Tablesoon recent lemon juice
- 3 Tablespoons capers
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey or maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon salt, plus extra to style
- Black pepper to style
- On a chopping board, use a pointy knife to take away the thick core from the cabbage. Thinly shred the cabbage then add to a big bowl.
- Core and quarter the apples. Slice them into skinny ⅛-inch /3mm slices with a knife or a mandolin.
- Cube the inexperienced onions. Add these to the cabbage. Squeeze over the lemon juice to cease the apples from browning.
- Drain the capers and add them to a small bowl together with mayonnaise, mustard, honey and salt.
- Combine this collectively then dollop over the cabbage combination, then toss the whole lot collectively nicely to coat. Season the dish with black pepper to style.
- Switch the salad to a serving bowl and serve.
Serving Dimension: 1
Quantity Per Serving:
Energy: 274Whole Fats: 21gSaturated Fats: 3gTrans Fats: 0gUnsaturated Fats: 17gLdl cholesterol: 12mgSodium: 663mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 3gSugar: 15gProtein: 1g